Outdoor Program- Trip Leader
WAGE RATE: $7.75 per hour
SUPERVISOR: Trip Manager - Outdoor Program
JOB FUNCTION: To provide and lead a positive and quality experience for trip participants in remote wilderness settings.
Our trips focus in offering to students an opportunity to enhance their experience at Boise State by providing lifelong and enriching outdoor experiences. From 1-day excursions to week-long expeditions, Trip Program offers a variety of trips for students to choose from.
The major focus of this position includes group and risk management, teaching skills, trip planning, decision making process, and community building.
Trainings are offered to staff to acquire the necessary confidence in both technical and group facilitation skills.
HOURS: on weekends, between 2 and 6 trips. Trips duration 1 to 3 days
DURATION: minimum 1 year commitment
More information: https://rec.boisestate.edu/trip-leader-training-series/
- Develop teaching and facilitation skills
- Develop leadership skills.
- Connect with other students and organizations on campus.
- Develop outdoor living and technical skills.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Attend mandatory multi day trainings and meeting totaling 120 hours in your first year on the program.
- Ability to work extensive hours on weekends.
- Comfortable and willing to learn technical and facilitation skills in a variety of different outdoor activities like climbing, backpacking, river rafting, biking, stand up paddle board, kayaking, and canoeing.
- Manage physical and emotional safety of participants.
- Strong desire to help participants and co-leaders seek and learn from a variety of challenges.
- Provide effective communication and customer service skills.
- Execute emergency action procedures when necessary.
- Establish and maintain clear communication with co-leaders and supervisors.
- Maintain a clean and organized environment before, during and after trips, which includes gear clean-up and management.
- Model professionalism in appearance and attitude.
- Ability to lift 35 lbs
- Willing to provide positive trip experiences in a variety of outdoor settings where weather, hiking distances, or paddling can be challenging.
- Possess a passion for working with others and being a team player.
- Be comfortable with stretching yourself.
- Maintain positive energy and attitude.
- Commitment to Outdoor Program mission and core values.
- Be understanding and sensitive to working with diverse populations.
- Drive 12 person van once 20 years of age.
- Microsoft works and rental software.
- Outdoor equipment.
- Enrolled in 6 or more credits per semester
- Must obtain CPR, AED, and First Aid certification within 45 days of hire*.
*Campus Recreation provides this training to all employees at no charge.
- Personal or professional experience in any outdoor activity.
- Previous experience working as counselor in summer camps, challenge courses, or outdoor programs.